Monday, October 27, 2014

Back At It....Hey!

A year ago I started this blog as a way for my family to figuratively join me on my journey to South Carolina. I needed to hit the proverbial "restart" button in my life. One week after my last post, I was offered a full-time 2nd grade teaching position at a school outside of Charleston. Two days later, I packed my life into my car and my amazing father made the 13 hour trip with me. 


Fast forward one year and three months: I am still living in Charleston, still teaching 2nd grade, and somehow, still feeling as though I need to hit the "restart" button. I was given the opportunity to recreate myself, and become anyone I want to be, in a state where only three people knew who I was. I wasn't even sure who I wanted to be or not be. I'm still probably unsure. I'm definitely still unsure. Maybe that's half the battle; figuring out who you want to be. The other half might be actually becoming that person. As I keep telling myself....baby steps
As I lay in bed last night, this blog came to mind. My head was flooded with thoughts going in all different directions. All I have to do is type and even if none of it makes sense, well, at least it's somewhere other than floating around in my brain. I moved here with a lot on my plate and very little to ground me. I felt as though leaving was the only choice I had in order to free myself from all the negativity weighing down on me. 
Life threw me a lot of curve balls starting at 18. My baby brother, is the only other person on Earth who could have even the slightest sense of how I felt through all of it. It made both of us stronger as people, and drove both of us far away from Connecticut. This past August, he started his first semester at law school.....in California. Yes, it took three thousand miles for him to restart. I have a measly 800 in comparison. Maybe the trick is more mileage, less confusion? Ugh. Either way, my father and I appreciate his choice to move to a gorgeous state with ideal weather, beautiful people, and fabulous shopping. 
Anyway...back to my move. If nothing else, I have learned how to truly stand on my own two feet. I am single. I have an apartment, a car, a dog, and a great sense of independence that I probably never would have gotten if a few of those curve balls hadn't been thrown at me. By thrown, I mean hurled...like a ton of bricks off the top Empire State Building. Mind you, a penny dropped off the top of the ESB has enough velocity to kill someone. I survived. Thanks, Life. I think? 




No comments:

Post a Comment